According to WhatsApp, its users will now be able to transfer their full chat history between Android and iOS devices. Initially, this feature was announced during last year’s Galaxy Unpacked event. Previously, WhatsApp users had to use third party apps to transfer their chat history or simply lose it when switching apps. This feature had originally been available in a beta version of the Meta-owned platform. However, this feature does not currently transfer the history of your WhatsApp calls and payments.
WhatsApp announced the new migration feature via a tweet. The company has updated its FAQ page to explain how to transfer WhatsApp chat history from Android to iOS. Users should be aware of a few things before moving forward with the migration – their Android smartphone should be running Android 5 or higher, and their iPhone should be running iOS 15.5 or higher. Both devices should be connected to the same Wi-Fi network for the transfer to work. In addition, you should connect your handsets to a power source during the migration.
According to WhatsApp, the migration feature will initially be available on select Samsung smartphones during last year’s Galaxy Unpacked event. In a beta update, the feature was made available to a broader audience.
How to migrate from Android to iPhone
- On your Android phone, open the Move to iOS app and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Your Android phone needs to enter the code displayed on your iPhone.
- Follow the on-screen instructions by tapping Continue.
- On the Transfer Data screen, select WhatsApp
- Tap Start on your Android phone, and WhatsApp will prepare the data for export. Once the data is prepared, you’ll be signed out of your Android phone.
- Tap Next to return to the Move to iOS app.
- Once the data has been transferred from your Android phone to your iPhone, tap Continue and wait for Move to iOS to confirm the transfer is complete.
- From the App Store, download WhatsApp’s latest version.
- Log in to WhatsApp using the same phone number as on your old device.
- Allow the process to complete by tapping Start when prompted.
Once the new device is activated, you will be able to see your chats on it. It is important to note that the transferred data will not be uploaded to iCloud until you create a backup. When you uninstall WhatsApp or wipe your smartphone, the data will remain on your Android device.
Here are some things you should keep in mind before transferring chat history
- You need Android OS Lollipop, SDK 21 or higher, or Android 5 or higher installed on your Android device
- You must be using iOS 15.5 or higher on your iPhone
- Install iOS app on your Android device
- Your new device must have WhatsApp iOS version 18.104.22.168 or higher
- On your old device, install WhatsApp Android version 22.214.171.124 or higher
- Keep the same phone number on your new device as you did on your old one
- In order to move data from your Android phone to your iPhone, your iPhone must be brand new or reset to factory settings
- You must connect both devices to a power source
- You’ll need to connect your Android device to your iPhone’s hotspot or both devices must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network